- Lose more body fat - As you build muscle your metabolism speeds up making you burn more calories throughout the day.
- You will gain strength without bulk - There are a ton of people who think that if girls lift weights they will get bulky. Not so! You have to lift and eat a certain way to gain like that, plus we don't have the amount of testosterone that man have - without steroids it's almost impossible to get that big!
- Lower your risk for osteoporosis - studies have shown that consistence resistance training can increase bone density by 13% in just 6 months!
- Reduce your risk of injury, back pain, and arthritis - you are building stronger muscles, connective tissue, and increase joint stability.
- Improve your attitude - studies have shown that 10 weeks of strength training reduced clinical depression symptoms better than counseling.
Of course there are more, but these are great reasons to start lifting. I am also looking for improvements to my sport by having stronger muscles, so I am excited to see if I notice a difference there.
I'm not going to lie, I am SORE all the time. And it's more than that, my muscles ache all the time. I swear it takes 4 days for the aching to subside. I'm hoping it's because I haven't lifted consistently in about 14 years and my body is adjusting - I'll keep you updated.
In other news, I had my first successful run this training cycle (yes, a full 5 weeks in!). Every single run I have not been hitting my paces and I've been struggling at the slower pace as well. Yesterday I did 6 x 800's and was supposed to be doing a 7:47 pace for those. I did that for the first three and then dropped it to 7:41 for two and then 7:35 for the last one. I bet I could have gone even faster! I just felt amazing! I did a 1 mile cool down after that, and I set the treadmill at 5.5 because I wanted it stupid easy. Well, it was TOO stupid! I upped it back to 6.2 for my cool down and that felt like a piece of cake. I usually do my long run at a 6.2 so I was really happy with how easy it was.
Let's see if I can hit my pace for a tempo run tomorrow!