Monday, September 29, 2014

Big Cottonwood Canyon Marathon

One of the best things about this marathon was hanging out with one of my best friends, Teresa. Since I moved from Texas I haven't seen her in about 2 years or so.

It was FREEZING at the start. 34 degrees. Teresa and I were doing okay and then they had to wait for two more buses to come up and we started about 30 minutes late. I could not feel my toes at all.

The gun goes off and we start! I really tried to hold back the first mile and I wanted all of the first 10 miles to feel easy. I had a hard time breathing for the first 6, but at 9000 feet, I suppose that's to be expected.

Miles 1-6 were 9:24, 8:23, 8:29, 8:45, 8:46, 9:45(water break here)

TIP for this race - BRING YOUR OWN WATER! The water stops were every 2 - 2 1/2 miles apart and I was wicked thirsty the entire second half of the race.

Highlight at mile 6 - Bull moose right off the road!

One of my favorite things about this race - I got my sub 2 half marathon! I hit 13.1 at 1:56!!! Go me!

Miles 7-13 were 8:52, 9:17, 8:59, 8:53, 8:26, 8:59, 8:39

I was hanging with the 4 hour pacer until about mile 16 when I hit the "out and back" section. It was 3.5 miles uphill and then 3.5 miles downhill. That section destroyed me. I walked so much and at mile 20 the 4:10 pacer passed me and I never saw him again. So much walking. The below picture is not a smile. It's a grimace.

Miles 14 - 20 were 8:52, 9:18, 10:22, 10:42, 10:35, 12:17, 10:53

I saw my dad and Dave and my kids at mile 22 which gave me a minute to stop and rest and the last 4 miles were mostly downhill.

Walking with dad and just wanting to be finished.

Miles 21-26.2 were 13:28, 11:28, 13:00, 10:53, 10:27, 11:30 and .2 was 2:00

I crossed the finish line at 4:22:02 and I'm pleased as punch with that time. 36 minute PR, and without all that walking I could have easily done a 4:10 or so.

The Aftermath: My calves have never been so sore in my LIFE.  All that downhill running destroyed my calves. My quads weren't too bad, but I got a black toenail. I'm pretty sure I don't want to run a full marathon ever again. That being said, I'm really proud of myself and how well I did - even with all the walking.

No comments: