Friday, May 16, 2014

16 days to go

Eight miles DONE!!!

I was pretty nervous the whole run, and my knee started feeling tender around mile 6 or so but never hurt so I kept going. I walked a couple times and stretched but I MADE it! I'm icing and rolling like crazy and feeling good about trying maybe 9 next week!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's what I really want to talk about, losing weight.

I've successfully completed 4 days of the "OMG - It's swimsuit season!" or "Marathon training starts in 2 weeks" or "I'm tired of my pants not fitting" diet. 

I reached my limits and all of a sudden it got easier to do what I should have been doing all along. I am counting my calories and focusing on whole, real food with tons of veggies, lean protein, and fruit when I want something sweet. I've lost a couple pounds (maybe 2) this week and I'm pretty pleased with that. I'm looking for long term, something I can sustain while fueling my body well for training.

I'm not trying to make it sound like it's easy all the time - it isn't. When I went to my daughter's softball game the other night I needed to bring the snacks (of which I didn't have any at the house) so I went to the store to pick up something. I knew I was going to be at the field by myself and when I walked by the candy isle and the chip isle, and the little debbie section I had the HARDEST time. I went back and forth in my head at least 25 times. 

get some candy, no one will know.
You've been doing so good, don't ruin it!
You deserve a reward.
The scale will tell the truth in the morning.
But it tastes so good and it's so inexpensive.
You're running 8 miles friday, you'll burn it off.
You'll feel guilty.
Chocolate is the best thing on the planet.
What are your real goals?

It was one of the hardest things I did to not buy candy that no one would know about (except me and the scale). I even walked to the register with lindor truffles in my hand. I got tic tacs instead.

I think when the goals are more important to you than the small moment of delicious pleasure, it gives more motivation. Today is day 5, and how many days does it take to create a habit? 21? I'm doing it.

1 comment:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Way to be strong and still have a treat too!
Thanks for the inspiration! It's been a struggle for me the last few months. I am glad you shared.