Monday, December 16, 2013

Your pace or mine?

Because it's been icemageddon here in Idaho for the last week and a half (for real, there is still a thick layer of ice on all the roads and the temperature has not gone over 30 one time), I've been stuck inside to do my running on the treadmill. When you are used to running outside all the time, the treadmill is hard. I don't know why. Perhaps because the speed is always constant and I'm not a constant speed runner?

Anyway.

I haven't been able to go longer than 3 or 4 miles at a time in the last 2 months (outside or otherwise) and my speed is nothing to brag about ever since I moved way up high at 5000 feet.  I decided to test my legs on the treadmill and see what I could do.

I did 3 miles to get all loosened up and then started with 3 minutes on 7mph (8:34 pace), walked a little. Then did 2 1/2 minutes at 7.5 (8:00 pace), walked a little. Here's where it gets tricky. 2 minutes at 8 mph (7:30 pace), 1 minute at 8.5 (7:04 pace), and THEN 30 seconds at 9mph!!!! (6:40 pace)

I have NEVER in my life ran at a 9 on the treadmill. Ever. It is really fast but I didn't feel like I was going to fall off. So there's that.

I think I might try to work my way up to doing 1 minute at 9mph like 4 or 5 times and see if I can do it. Especially since it looks like I'll be stuck inside for at least another week.

No comments: