Sunday, December 1, 2013

Turkey Trots

I headed over to a local park (maybe 2 miles away) for a Thanksgiving morning 5K. Since I can't breathe up here at this altitude, I thought I would just run for fun (a 5K just for FUN? Who knew?!) and burn some calories before pie time.

The race started about 10 minutes late which wouldn't have mattered if it had not been 20 degrees outside. My legs were cold, my face was cold, and I couldn't feel my toes.

Anyway, we start and I can't believe how stiff I am from cold waiting for the race to start. I try to keep it easy and hit mile 1 about 8:50 or so. I am THRILLED with that since I didn't feel like I was trying too hard.

Then, a hill. Combine high altitude with hill training = me sucking wind big time. My pace up the hill was around 11 minutes/mile but it wasn't too long so mile 2 was still around 9:10 or something.

I think by this point I could start to feel my face but DANG I was freezing this whole race and gasping at this thin air. Mile 3 around a 9 minute mile and I raced it to the end for a 7:47 pace the last .1 or so.

Finish time of 27:30 which is really close to my almost dying 5K's I tried in Bath (except the last one) and I didn't feel like I was really "racing", you know?

I had a good time and I'm still continuing to bust through this altitude and start breathing normally again. Going up the "hill" tomorrow morning.

No comments: