Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pirate 5K

Spoiler alert......

PR!!!!

1st in AG!!!!!

Okay, now to the deets.

64-ish degrees with high humidity still, so it was a ~touch~ warm for me. I'm a hot runner (I mean, it hurts to look this good. kidding, I mean temperature hot) so 50 degrees is perfection for me. even lower is okay.

So the start - I ALWAYS start too fast and this was no exception. I don't know what my deal is! I probably just don't want to be beaten by the 8 year olds. Only 1/4 mile into the race and my breathing was way off - which could have been nerves as well - so I just tried to stay relaxed and breathe! I calmed down and started feeling better and hit:

Mile 1 - 7:48

WHAT?! That's my new mile PR! I can't believe I just clocked a mile in a race in the 7's! I can do this!!! About mile 1.5 I was REALLY hot and having a hard time breathing, I tried to keep it strong since I did so good in the first mile but it HURT. My legs felt amazing but my breathing was all over the place. There was a 15 year old girl in my sights about 20 yards in front of me and I just tried to hang with her.

Mile 2 - 8:22

And I'm dying. I'm really dying. Why does racing matter? No, no, you can DO this. hang in there, only 3 songs left. I'm walking, this is stupid. NO, you are strong, finish strong! Holy crap I passed the 15 year old! YES! Hold her off. Holy crap I'm going to puke. Hmmm, legs still feel great. weird.

Mile 3 - 8:36

I'm still in the 8's?? awesome! I really thought that last mile was in the 9's. Strong! .1 left, Do it, do it! (I'm going to pass out). CRAP! 15 year old girl just out kicked me!! Sprint to the finish!!!! 

last .15 (little long) at 7:36 pace

I finished and tried not to collapse had my hands on the knees leaning over, gasping for air. 3.15 miles in 25:56 (8:13 pace). MAJOR PR. My last race 5K was 27:27. I was 5th female overall and 1st in my age group. (the 15 year old in front of me runs cross country. I didn't catch her)

Although I still didn't break 25 minutes, I did AMAZING for me. I'm really proud of myself and know I can just keep getting better. woo to the hoo!

It is really amazing how badly 5K's hurt. There are just no words. 

No comments: