Monday, October 8, 2012

Cheater

In some ways I feel like I've been cheated by this marathon training. I've been doing awesome, following training to a "T", I'm using the Run Less Run Faster plan since I seem to get injured easily. I ice every day. I stretch. Cross train 3 days a week. 2 weeks ago I hurt the top of my foot randomly after my triathlon which I figured was tendonitis. I've been resting it, praying, icing like crazy, lots of cycling and it's getting better!

Enter high hopes for continuing training.

THEN, I go out to do my 20 mile training run. The BIG momma when it comes to a marathon, right? Right?!

I get 9 miles into the run feeling amazing, pace is fantastic, my tendonitis on the top of my right foot is holding off (any pain and I stop) and then I hit mile 9.25 and BAM, the outside of my left foot feels stabbing and pinching and I'm halted in my tracks by a pain than I can't even walk through. It came completely out of nowhere. One minute I'm fine, the next I'm crumpled on the ground. I am brought to tears and limp home. ( finished the day with 2 hours of biking to get 3 1/2 hours of exercise in) It felt kind of okay for the rest of the day - saturday - but yesterday??  I couldn't put any weight on it at all, I'm limping around the house and brought to tears multiple times by just standing.

So now I am basically depressed. My first marathon, I bought a plane ticket for it, my husband it watching the kids so I can go to Dallas for a long weekend and I possibly won't even be able to WALK!?

There is some good news. I am able to walk on it today. if I sit for a long time and then get up I can walk around with no pain at all for 5-10 minutes. And then it slowly comes back but nothing like yesterday when I couldn't even stand on it. I've walked around the house. Walked to the mailbox. up and down the stairs in the house maybe 15 times. And I haven't cried yet. There is no swelling. It is just the strangest thing ever, these freak pains.

I think it's possible that I can still do the marathon. Right now there are no time goals. The goal is to finish with no pain in my feet. The goal is to get my stinking medal (which is also a belt buckle). The goal is to attempt my 15 mile run this saturday with no pain. I'm getting tired of that bike seat!

Only 34 days to go.


No comments: