Friday, September 14, 2012

oops, a half marathon?

I have done 1 half marathon before. It was in November 2010 and I finished in 2:11. It was a touch slower than i wanted but prior to the training I had only ever run 3 miles at a time. It hurt SO bad. those last 3 miles were complete agony and I tried to speed my pace up at the end, but I was working harder and not going any faster. For 3 or 4 days after that race I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

In may 2011 I found out I was pregnant (surprise!) and put on bed rest and exercise restrictions almost the whole pregnancy. Then I had the baby, moved across the country and at the end of February of 2012, I was starting to run again (painfully) with short 2 mile runs with lots of walking breaks. It was almost like starting from scratch again.

I have been faithful with my marathon training. The speed work (kill me), the tempo runs (kill me more), and the long runs. and the cross training. And my long run this week was an easy 13 miles since last week was a longer 17.

I finished in 2:08 for 13.1 miles exactly. I "accidentally" did a half marathon and 3 minutes faster than my race 2 years ago. For which I rested for. And had race energy. and caffeine.

I'm a little excited that I'm getting faster and that a half marathon doesn't feel like death.

So does this mean that if I can run for 2-3 hours, that my 3 hour triathlon next week will be okay? I would DESPERATELY like to bike at 18 mph. and not die on the run. well, not dying on the swim would be good too. I could get bashed in the face by some flailing arms and inhale some serious ocean water.

anyways, I'm super proud of this morning. I did awesome.


No comments: