Tuesday, July 10, 2012

the silence

This morning after my run and the 20 minutes it took me to do the "Ab Challenge",  I made sure the kids were all settled and got in the shower - a complete necessity when the sweat doesn't stop dripping from your face and arms until 45 minutes after your run. After the usual soaping and rinsing I did one of my favorite things ever. I sat down and let the hot pelting water just hit me in the face and shoulders and let the water massage me.  I lost track of how long I sat there enjoying the silence and my alone time. No one was asking me for anything, no one needed me at that particular minute, and it was all about me.

It made me start thinking about why I run. Why I like to bike for 2 hours by myself.  Why I LOVE to swim where not even music can follow me. There are many reasons, but one of the big ones is the quiet.  It is one of the very few times during the day that there is silence, and the only person asking anything of me is me. The time is mine and I cherish it. It rejuvenates me, wakes me up, allows me to appreciate all that I have and makes me feel alive.

Long live the run, the bike, the swim, the shower, or whatever it is that makes me/you/us feel alive. Enjoy it, relish in it, soak it all in.

And then we might have just a little more to give to everything and everyone else.

1 comment:

A Mormon Mommy said...

I love to sit in the shower and let the water run, too! It's such a cool feeling. I have gone running the past two days and it's amazing the amount of energy I have had! I feel like I could conquer the world!