Friday, June 1, 2012

Are you lucky?


Goals check-in.
  • Run a 5K under 27:30 (8:50 pace) 5K in March - 28:39, Ignite 5K June 23 - 3 weeks to go!
  • Have a baby. (hahaha) He's almost 5 months old and adorable.
  • Get down to my "happy weight"at 122 pounds.Weighed in at 126.2 this morning, I'm thinking I could hit 120 and be at a great racing weight.
  • Biking speed averaging 18 mph. 16.9 so far. doing well!
  • Do an olympic distance triathlon. no time goal although I would LIKE to break 3 hours. registered and nervous!
  • Complete my marathon in under 4:30. This one may need to change a little since I'm doing this marathon with my dad. He's averaging 11 - 11:30 minute miles right now and I wanted to do it with him. That would have us finishing around 4:45-ish. We'll see how his fitness improves over the next few months.
  • Find another 10K and break 58 minutes.
  • Run 800 700 miles for the year.  Ran 78.92 miles in May! 251.4 miles total for 2012. 

::enter soapbox::

As I was slogging through my 8 mile run this morning, I kept hearing in my head all the people who tell me how "lucky" I am that the baby weight falls off. How "lucky" I am that I can have 4 kids(?!) and still be thin. How they would kill to be as "lucky" as me. (seriously, I hear it all the time)

At the risk of offending someone, I'm going to be brutally honest.

All those comments really piss me off.

-Being lucky doesn't have anything to do with me waking up at 4:30 in the morning to nurse my not quite 5 month old baby BEFORE going out to run 8 miles so he won't be cranky while I'm gone. 
-Luck doesn't enter my mind when I'm passing on the cookies/candy/ice cream and eating broccoli instead. 
-As I work my way through my speed work days when my heart rate hits 193 and sweat is pouring into my eyes and I'm icing my knees and making sure my recovery food is high in protein and low in calories, luck is the last word on my mind. 
-Counting calories? That's not luck. It's straight up math.

In short, I work REALLY hard to get back in shape every time I have a child. And when all my efforts are discredited by others when they casually brush aside my work with the "L" word, it irritates me. I say we don't use the word anymore, since we rarely see the whole picture.

::off soapbox now::

You tell me, what really gets on YOUR nerves?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I haven't ever been called lucky, but I've had people tell me I'm skinny which bugs me because they don't realize how hard I workout. You definatly work hard to get back in shape and you are a great example to those like me who seem to just not be able to get past giving up the cookies/cake/ice cream etc. Great job and kudos to you!