Monday, May 7, 2012

the hunger

Before I got pregnant with Ryan, I was ramping up my biking because I wanted to be faster. I started doing speedwork in my running and was gaining traction as I tried to be a "real" runner. I've done multiple 5K's, one 10K, 2 sprint triathlons, and a half marathon - but I still don't consider myself a "runner".  I think "runner" and I think fast. Those legs. people who can run a mile in 5 minutes. 6 minutes. who can hold a 7 minute mile pace for a marathon. I can't even hold a 7 minute mile pace for ONE mile.

I want so much to be faster. If I could hold an 8 minute mile for a 5K I would be thrilled beyond belief. You'd see me dancing in the rain naked. (or maybe not)

don't get me wrong, I'm super proud that I ran 7 miles the other day when 3 years ago I couldn't even run 1/2 mile without wheezing and clutching my chest in agony. but I want MORE!

In my effort to stick my chest out and call myself a RUNNER, I did what needed to be done. speedwork. solid base. more speedwork. did I mention speedwork? And chasing right behind the intense effort and mileage back then, THE HUNGER hit me. You know what I'm talking about. That deep starvation that is almost insatiable. Eat 500 calories for breakfast high in protein and fiber and STARVING 35 minutes later. I just couldn't eat enough!

I haven't had that problem since getting pregnant and having a baby and stuff. But now? I'm up to 7 mile long runs on friday's and a 25-30 mile bike ride on saturdays and the hunger is back. That CRAZY hungry monster. Which must be tamed because I still have 8 pounds to lose. I ate SO much this weekend that I gained a pound. blah.

Control.

Control the hunger.

Beat the hunger.

BTW, how many calories should I eat on days I'm burning 800-1200 calories through exercise?

No comments: