Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Did I Eat That?



I want to talk about diets today. A specific diet that my husband's cousin did recently and that I have a problem with. (well, I have a problem with most fad diets)

The HCG Diet. (here is info on the website if you want to check it out)

Essentially, for the first month you are restricted to a 500 calorie a day diet while taking the hormone HCG - which is prevalent in preggo ladies. The hormone is supposed to suppress your appetite so your body gets used to consuming fat. (you did not want to see that paragraph before spell check went through. geez) Then after the initial 30 days, you are allowed to exercise and eat more normally.

This cousin blogged almost every day about how she felt, what she ate, etc. She was allowed to eat only a couple vegetables, london broil, some grassini (tiny breadsticks), and strawberries. It is SO little food!

Not to mention any potential side effects - mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to do any research to actually give you side effects, but you can google it - I think it's just TOO HARD!!! It is too hard to limit yourself so drastically and basically starve yourself for a month. Being hungry does NOT feel good. I just think it's much easier to move a little more and cut out the goodies. eating 1500 calories a day feels so much better than 500 and wanting to die.

She lost 20 pounds in 33 days, with about 33 pounds to go. But what a way to go! It sounds horrible.

I'm also not a fan of Atkins, The Zone, and other diets that I can't think of the name of.

I guess I just believe moderation in all things when it comes to food.

What are your thoughts on fad diets??


1 comment:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Yikes! The HCG diet sounds terrible to me, but people keep going on about it like it's amazing. It's STARVATION! I could never imagine doing that!