Friday, December 17, 2010

Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes.

To my vast audience of 4 readers (hi, guys!), I want to talk about my run this morning. Was it any more spectacular than any of the runs I've done in the last 2 months? Not especially.

But.

One year ago I ran my second 5K ever. I remember it so well because I wanted to break 30 minutes really bad and I didn't. I came in at 30:20, and wanted to die. Like, D.I.E. I remember wanting to walk SO bad. Not being able to breathe. I almost fell over when I crossed the finish line because i was about to pass out.

Today I have successfully completed (and came in 4th) in 2 sprint triathlons, done 2 more 5K's (28:02), and a half marathon. This morning I ran 5 miles in 51 minutes (which is a hair slow for me) and felt great. GREAT. I have a cold right now and it's freezing outside, but it was a great run. A year ago I never would have imagined that I could run 5 miles OR that it would feel good.

I've come a long way in my first year of running and am looking forward to next December seeing 9 minute miles as "easy" and "feeling good".

Have I mentioned that I don't hate running anymore?? It's a strange feeling.

No comments: